Blog

Aug 19, 2012

Is science reporting biased towards big well funded organizations?

Posted by in categories: business, education, scientific freedom, space

MIT developed microthrusters is a good example.

JD Williams of Colorado State University, Fort Collins, was doing work on this technology as far back as 2005, and I met him 2009 at the SPESIF 2009 conference, and was impressed by what he was doing. Search Colorado State University, Fort Collins, for ‘ceramic thrusters’ to get more information.

My question, how come he did not get media attention then and now when MIT says the same thing 3 to 7 years later they get media attention?

Is the science writers’ community biased? Or is this an editorial problem?

—————————————————————————————————

Benjamin T Solomon is the author & principal investigator of the 12-year study into the theoretical & technological feasibility of gravitation modification, titled An Introduction to Gravity Modification, to achieve interstellar travel in our lifetimes. For more information visit iSETI LLC, Interstellar Space Exploration Technology Initiative

Comments — comments are now closed.

• GaryChurch on August 20, 2012 11:02 am

Explain what this has to do with the lifeboat mission please.

• Benjamin T. Solomon on August 20, 2012 11:22 am

It very, very simple Gary Church.

First, if you cannot get the media coverage you cannot raise funds.

Second, if you don’t get the credit for your own work you won’t be able to raise the funds you need to continue, and somebody else will get the funds for your work.

• JohnHunt on August 20, 2012 11:52 am

I think there is a similar situation when it comes to the public discussion of existential threats. Whenever a prominent individual says something about existential threats, they get prominent coverage regardless if their scenarios are probable or not. Stephen Hawking comes to mind. I wish that there were a true marketplace or jury for ideas so that the best ideas win and get attention rather than the attention just going to those people who have some level of celebrity.

• GaryChurch on August 20, 2012 9:36 pm

“I wish that there were a true marketplace or jury for ideas”

Wishing accomplishes nothing- and neither does whining about other people’s recognition and celebrity.

• Benjamin T. Solomon on August 21, 2012 4:46 am

Gary Church, sounds like you are upset that MIT was exposed for being a late commer to the field of microthrusters.

Lets focus on positive comments/contributions on how to overcome media bias for big well funded organizations.

• GaryChurch on August 21, 2012 3:36 pm

Sounds like you are upset about not being the one getting the publicity. I doubt posting here is going to solve your problem.

• Benjamin T Solomon on August 21, 2012 5:22 pm

See my earlier comment about providing constructive contributions to this blog.

• Gary Michael Church on August 21, 2012 6:59 pm

“Getting funds” does not really depend on media coverage- it depends on peer reviewed valid research. Joe six-pack is not going to give the OK on any anti-gravity research grants. How your post is a constructive contribution to this blog is not clear to me.

• Benjamin T Solomon on August 21, 2012 7:27 pm

Gary Church, who are you?

• Tom Kerwick on August 22, 2012 1:38 am

Gary, you should update your bio — you write a good blog -

• Benjamin T. Solomon on August 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Let us recap.
    1) You ask me, what is the relevance of this blog post to Lifeboat’s mission?
    2) You post a blog titled ‘Four Years Ago’ (http://lifeboat.com/blog/2012/08/four-years-ago) about “An Afghan local policeman opened fire on American troops on Friday”.
    Please do tell what this has to do with Lifeboat’s mission?

I infer that you have one rule for yourself and another for everyone else.

What makes you the authority on what should be published on Lifeboat’s blog and what should not?

Finally you have not answered my question, who are you? And by association what are your credentials for passing judgment on other peoples’ work?

I gather from the link Tom Kerwick has provided that you have not published any physics or aerospace engineering papers at a peer reviewed conference or journal?

So if you have not walked in the shoes of someone like Prof. JD Williams, what makes you an authority on how funding works in these communities?

• Gary Michael Church on August 22, 2012 7:59 pm

I have nothing to say to either Solomon or Kerwick. You post your articles and I will post mine- you can delete my comments as you see fit just as I can delete yours.
    Your righteous indignation is comical. I think you both are lunatic fringe to be asking these questions on this blog. It is a forum for free speech- not your personal domain. Go away.

• Gary Michael Church on August 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Gravity modification?
    You do not belong on this blog. Go away.

• Pedro on October 13, 2012 3:38 pm

post way back in halcyon days of 2007, a quanit, link-less, picture-less review of Douglas Adams92 Hitchhikers92 Guide to the Galaxy. I can think of few other science fiction pieces that have shaped my outlook on Life, the Universe,