Thanks to the success of our book The Human Race to the Future, we will be publishing two more books. Book one is an anthology of both short fiction stories and nonfiction articles about the future titled Visions of the Future. Send an email to [email protected] with the subject “Lifeboat Foundation Anthology” if you would be interested in contributing such a story or article. Read a sample story from our upcoming anthology! Book two will be titled Prospects for Human Survival and is being written by Willard Wells whose last book was published by Springer.
We have received an overwhelming response to our call for materials for our anthology book. This book plus our Prospects for Human Survival book plus some additional projects that other board members have initiated with us are overwhelming our small staff. Please donate to our End of the Year Fundraiser so we can expand our ability to do many projects at once.
Summary of current Lifeboat Foundation activities
1) We are developing two books. Book one is an anthology of stories and articles about the future titled Visions of the Future. Book two is Prospects for Human Survival by Willard Wells.
2) We are working with Sara Gardephe to create a documentary about the Lifeboat Foundation. We are also working with Sara to create other original video for the Lifeboat Foundation.
3) Our financial and media support for Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaigns has generated the following recent successes:
- Future of Money TV Series, total $37,235 raised.
- Trsst: a distributed secure blog platform for the open web, total $65,224 raised.
- MA365, a One-Year Mars Simulation in the Canadian Arctic, total $17,081 raised.
- Help Teach 1000 Kids That Death is Wrong, total $5,135 raised.
We have initially launched it with Asteroids, Biotech/Medical, Cybercrime/Malcode, Cryptocurrency, Drones, Educational, Existential Risks, Futurism, Life Extension, Nanotechnology, Neuroscience, Nuclear, Particle Accelerator, Particle Physics, Robotics/AI, Space Settlement, Sustainability, and Transparency and Privacy videos.
Important videos on this channel include:
- Blue Beauty: Our Beautiful Earth
- The Doomsday Curve
- Existential Risks: An Educational Video for the Lifeboat Foundation by Dr. Kim Solez
The Kindle version of our book is available at http://amzn.to/19H3qf0 and the paperback version is available at http://amzn.to/1uYeeAF.
6) Lifeboat Foundation conference support
Our Michael Anissimov, Seth Baum, David Brin, Karl Doerrer, Pavel Luksha, Bryce A. Lynch, Hank Pellissier, Anna Petrova, and Alexei Turchin spoke at Global Existential Risks & Radical Futures on June 14 in Piedmont, California. The Lifeboat Foundation was Cosponsor of this event.
WorldFuture 2014 was held July 11–13, 2014 at the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek Hotel, Orlando, Florida, USA. Our Guillermina Baena, Lawrence Baines, Rob Bencini, Peter Bishop, Ted Chu, Brenda Cooper, José Cordeiro, Jason Dunn, Cindy Frewen, Jay Gary, Lesley Gist, Jerome Glenn, Fabienne Goux-Baudiment, Linda Groff, Bill Halal, Trevor Haldenby, Derek Boyd Hankerson, Glen Hiemstra, Elina Hiltunen, Andy Hines, Rudi Hoffman, Barbara Marx Hubbard, Zoltan Istvan, Zhouying Jin, Steven M. Johnson, Ted Kahn, Cadell Last, James H. Lee, Tom Lombardo, Tim Mack, Gary Marx, Kate McCallum, Alex McManus, Ramez Naam, Claire Nelson, Bj Price, Clay Rawlings, Kevin Russell, Laura Schlehuber, John Schmidt, Gray Scott, Rupam Shrivastava, John M. Smart, Rick Smyre, Kiko Suarez, Jason Swanson, Patrick Tucker, Alexandra Whittington, Lindsea Wilbur, and Michael Zey spoke/participated.
Our José Cordeiro hosted a free dinner for our members at the hotel on July 13 at 6:30 pm.
Our María Blasco, Judith Campisi, Jeffrey Karp, Neil Littman, Stephen Minger, David Schaffer, Einar M. Sigurdsson, and Evan Snyder spoke at the Rejuvenation Biotechnology Conference 2014 on August 21–23, 2014 at the Santa Clara Hyatt Regency Hotel, California, USA. Get 25% off with the discount code LIFEBOAT25.
Our Nicole Sallak Anderson, Zoltan Istvan, Scott Jackisch, Pavel Luksha, Gary Marcus, Hank Pellissier, Anna Petrova, Fred Stitt, and Peter Voss spoke at the Artificial Intelligence & The Singularity conference was held September 20th in Piedmont, California.
Our Vasant Honavar, W. Bradley Knox, Sven Koenig, Benjamin Kuipers, Peter Stone, and Matthew E. Taylor are participating in the Twenty-Ninth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-15) which will be held January 25–29, 2015 at the Hyatt Regency in Austin, Texas, USA. The purpose of this conference is to promote research in artificial intelligence (AI) and scientific exchange among AI researchers, practitioners, scientists, and engineers in affiliated disciplines.
7) Do you have a project that would benefit from the advice and input of our advisory board members? If so, send an email with the subject “Lifeboat Foundation Projects” to [email protected]
Our goal is $25,000. Help us make 2015 our best year yet.