Professor Włodzisław “Wlodek” Duch
Włodzisław “Wlodek” Duch, Ph.D., DSc. is
Professor of Theoretical Physics and
Informatics, Department of Informatics, Faculty of Physics,
Astronomy and Informatics,
Nicolaus Copernicus University, Torun, Poland and
President of the
European Neural Network Society. He is President of the
DuchSoft research and development company which makes the
GhostMiner software package marketed by
Wlodek’s research fields, in order of present interest:
- Theory and applications of computational intelligence, including neural networks, similarity-based systems, relations with fuzzy systems, pattern recognition, artificial intelligence, selection of relevant information, visualization of multidimensional data and relations.
- Natural language processing, computer linguistics, information retrieval and extraction, connections with human memory models, word games, medical informatics.
- Computational cognitive neuroscience, cognitive science, cognitive robotics, cognitive informatics, cognitive psychology, developmental psychology, large scale simulations of brain functions, human-computer interaction, humanized software interfaces.
- Informational dynamics: concept of information, brain-mind transition, theory of complex systems.
- Philosophy of mind, foundations of physics, quantum computing, philosophical problems of physics, history of physics.
- Education, development of new educational programs, application of computers in education, development of computational science educational programs.
Wlodek is on the Editorial Boards of Cognitive Neurodynamics, International Journal of Information Technology and Intelligent Computing, International Journal of Neural Systems (IJNS), Neural Information Processing Letters and Reviews, NeuroQuantology: An Interdisciplinary Journal of NeuroScience and Quantum Physics, and Nonlinear Biomedical Physics, and is Book and Media Review Editor for IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks. He is cofounder and scientific editor of the Polish Cognitive Science journal.
He recently coedited Challenges for Computational Intelligence (Studies in Computational Intelligence) and 8 books on artificial neural networks. He coauthored Towards Avatars with Artificial Minds: Role of Semantic Memory and over 360 other papers. Read the full list of his publications!
Wlodek did his undergraduate study in Physics at the Nicolaus Copernicus University, Torun, Poland from 1972 to 1977. He earned his Master of Science diploma (highest honors, “blue diploma”) in Physics at the Nicolaus Copernius University in 1977. He did his graduate study in Quantum Chemistry at the Nicolaus Copernicus University from 1977 to 1980. He earned his PhD in Quantum Chemistry with the thesis Direct Configuration Interaction Method at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in 1980. He earned his DSc. in Many Body Physics with the thesis “Graphical Representation of Model Spaces” at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in 1987. Both theses won the Ministry of Education Award. In 1997 he earned the title of a “professor of theoretical physics and informatics”.
His advisor’s advisor’s advisor’s advisor’s advisor was Albert Einstein.