Professor Mike Hapgood
D. Phil. is Head, Space Environment Group, RAL Space, and
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory.
His main tasks include:
- Project Scientist for the Joint Science Operations Centre (JSOC) which has been built at RAL for the Cluster mission.
- Project Manager for the Study of an ESA Space Weather Programme (ESWS). This is one of two ESA-funded studies to explore the rationale for, and possible form of, a future Space Weather programme in Europe.
- Project Manager for the Space Environment Database and Analysis Tools (SEDAT) which is being built at RAL under an ESA contract.
- Studies of the coupling of energy and momentum across the Earth’s magnetopause. In particular, using data from the AMPTE mission.
- The development and application of data systems in solar-terrestrial physics and other branches of space science.
- The use of coordinate systems in solar-terrestrial physics.
Mike earned his MA in Physics at the University of Oxford in 1973. He earned his D. Phil. in Physics at the University of Sussex in 1977.
Read Space Weather Expert has Ominous Forecast. Read his LinkedIn profile. Follow his Twitter feed.