is a veteran contributor to
ExtremeTech, an engineer, and a neuroscientist.
He’s also the former owner of CRE Precision, a machine shop based near
Philadelphia, specializing in the design and manufacture of instruments for
His accomplishments include:
- Designed 4 kilogauss water cooled electromagnets for magnetic positioning and manipulation of cells on nanopatterned surfaces.
- Designed 3-axis magnetic manipulator for characterizing molecular motors used by the E. Coli bacterium.
- Designed double-beam polarizing interferometer for sub-nanometer strain measurements.
- Designed 10-channel laser attenuator for controlling power delivered via fiber optic cable to treat prostate cancer with locally photactivateable drugs.
- Designed MRI compatible device to compress rat spinal cord in vivo to evaluate mechanical properties and evaluate extent of injury and subsequent recovery
- Designed incubator compatible 2-axis polymer stretcher to study assembly of rat cardiomyocytes seeded onto biopolymers into functional beating assemblies.
Watch 2014 Biotech Symposium Seminar — Dr. John Hewitt. Follow his Twitter feed.