Jim Mathews, MS, APF
Jim Mathews, MS, APF is founder of
The Futures Network, LLC.
The Futures Network helps clients develop the skills they need to
proactively anticipate the potential futures that are rapidly
approaching your enterprise. The future is not fixed, so we can’t
predict it. What we can do is to use our knowledge of the past and the
present to identify the possibilities that lie ahead. Negative
possibilities may constitute warnings, while positive possibilities can
reveal opportunities. The seeds of the future are to be found in the
present and in the past. Futures research is essential to effective
strategic planning; a resilient strategy will find success in whatever
His Professional Accomplishments Include:
- Presented “Understanding the Emerging Technologies Life Cycle” and was co-faculty for “You and Your Future: Applying Futures Methods to Your Life” at World Future 2006 Conference in Toronto, Canada, July, 2006.
- Identified large impact emerging information technologies and developed strategies to leverage them for maximum business impact.
- Developed a set of scenarios covering life in Utah in the year 2050 for the Governor’s Office of Planning and Budget.
- Developed new theories on monitoring the emerging technology life-cycle.
- Led the development of a Strategic Technology Plan and a five-year vision for an IT department, ensuring alignment with the business by interviewing business leaders.
- Participated in development and syndication of IT strategies, ranging in scale from a single line of business to the entire enterprise, incorporating futurist techniques.
- Association of Professional Futurists, Founding Member
- World Future Society, Professional Member
- Acceleration Studies Foundation, Technology Advisory Board Member
- Topic editor for Computing at Shaping Tomorrow.
- Gerson Lehrman Group, Technology Council Member
- MS, Studies of the Future, University of Houston-Clear Lake
- BS, Mathematics, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology