Summer Growth Fundraiser
Jeff Bone has pledged $10,000 in matching funds for our Summer Growth
Fundraiser. Our goal is to raise $20,000 by June 21, 2011 (Northern
Hemisphere summer solstice) by using his matching funds to match your
donations dollar for dollar.
Here are some interesting projects we have been working on recently:
- DARPA/NASA Request for Information project
- Begun wiki development (let us know if you have an idea that could use wiki support)
- Added to our growing world news coverage
- Improved our blog (which is an official Google News source)
- Created new educational videos and new reports
- Launched a grant initiative program
- Provided support for Suspended Animation 2011, WorldFuture 2011: Moving from Vision to Action, and The Fourth Conference on Artificial General Intelligence
Help us meet our goal so we can “flower” this summer!
Learn more at https://lifeboat.com/ex/summer.growth
The Lifeboat Foundation is working to fulfill a DARPA/NASA Request for
Information. DARPA and NASA are asking for conceptualization of a
more-or-less privately funded trip to the stars. They want five pages
on business model, survival, governance, etc.
Learn more at http://lifeboat.com/ex/darpa
How to Live Forever
The documentary “How to Live Forever” features our Aubrey de Grey and
Its initial release schedule is:
- 5/13: New York, NY – Quad Cinema
- 5/20: Los Angeles, CA – Laemmle Monica 4
- 5/27: Orange County, CA – Edwards Westpark 8
- 6/3: San Diego, CA – Landmark Ken Cinema
- 6/10: Palm Desert, CA – Cinemas Palme D’Or
- 6/17: Portland, OR – Regal Fox Tower Stadium 10
- 7/1: Austin, TX – Regal Arbor Cinema Great Hills
- 7/15: Philadelphia, PA – Landmark Ritz at the Bourse
- 7/22: Denver, CO – Landmark Chez Artiste
- 7/29: Minneapolis, MN – Landmark Lagoon
- 7/29: Washington, DC – Landmark E-Street
- 8/19: Boston, MA – Landmark Kendall Square
Watch its trailer at
Learn more at http://www.liveforevermovie.com/
Anetta Tissot creates a Polish about page for us at http://lifeboat.com/ex/about.polish Thanks Anetta!
John Huchra Memorial
We mourn the loss of our John Huchra. John was a man who loved
telescopes and whose pioneering maps of a bubbly universe challenged
notions of how the galaxies were born.
John will be best remembered for what looks for all the world like a child’s stick-figure drawing of a man, but in fact is a map showing how the galaxies are distributed through about 600 million light-years of space.
Astronomers had long presumed that if they looked out far enough beyond the Local Group of galaxies to which the Milky Way belongs, galaxies would be spread more or less evenly. John’s map, produced in 1986 with Margaret J. Geller and Valérie de Lapparent, showed instead that the galaxies seemed to be confined to great sheets arcing around enormous dark and presumably empty voids millions of light-years across, clustering in dense knots where the sheets intersected.
Learn more at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/14/us/14huchra.html
Marshall Stoneham Memorial
We mourn the loss of our theoretical condensed-matter physicist Marshall
Stoneham. In October 2010 he took over as president of the Institute of
Physics, which publishes physicsworld.com. His duties for the Institute
will for the moment be taken over by the Institute’s immediate
past-president Jocelyn Bell Burnell.
Learn more at http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/45160
Fall and Winter
Learn about “Fall and Winter” at
This documentary film explores the origins of our global crisis — and the ingenious adaptations needed to survive the catastrophic transition we’ve entered.
Thanks to Lifeboat Foundation member Frank D. Smith, the Lifeboat Foundation store now offers a Neon Logo T-Shirt at http://www.cafepress.com/lifeboatcom.537996925 and a Neon Logo with Earth T-Shirt at http://www.cafepress.com/lifeboatcom.537996924
Recent donations/pledges we have received since the last newsletter:
Anonymous: $120, Rodney C. Hill: $120, Paula J. Wilson: $120, Richard Yonck: $120, Michael Dickey: $85, Sergio M.L. Tarrero: $85, Philippe Van Nedervelde: $85, Kenneth P. Weiss: $85, Tom Driscoll: $30, Michael Breazeale: $25, Rick Hubbard: $25, Matthew L. McGuirl: $25, BABBS Corporation: $20, Ronald Amos: $10, Rebecca R. Cooper: $10, Christopher Dilkus: $10, Thomas Dolphin: $10, Stephen Fleming: $10, George Garrett: $10, Charles Hawk: $10, Alexander Macrae: $10, Aaron Mayzes: $10, Glenn A. Miller: $10, Philip Morehead: $10, Phil Nadeau: $10, John N. Philipps (Jack): $10, Frank D. Smith: $10, Rhonda Stevenson: $10, and John Thompson: $10.
Our Join Us page at https://lifeboat.com/ex/join.us now allows you to pay for your membership anywhere from monthly to every ten years.